DRI: 400 mcg/day
UL: 1000 mcg/day
LRNI: 100 mcg/day
green vegetables, liver, yeast, extracts, mushrooms, nuts and whole grain.
It is absorbed in enterocytes, further undergoes reduction and is transported to liver.
- Folate is necessary for production and maintenance of new cell for DNA synthesis and RNA synthesis , for preventing changes to DNA and thus preventing cancer.
- Required to make RBC & WBC generation. Reduce chromosal defects in sperm.
- Catabolism of fatty acids and amino acids.
- It increases lipolysis in adipocyte which have role in prevention of obecity and diabetes.
- Folic acid intake can help treat patients with rheumatoid arthritis.*Rheumatoid arthritis is a progressive autoimmune disease that occurs when your body’s immune system turns against your own tissues and destroys them as foreign invaders. Rheumatoid arthritis can cause damage to organs, bones, but most frequently, it occurs in the joints. People with rheumatoid arthritis have chronic joint inflammation, swelling and pain. This disease is also degenerative. In severe cases, it can lead to joint deformation and permanent loss of function.
It leads to megaloblastic anaemia.
It Folate deficiency leads to glossitis , diarrhea, depression , confusion anaemia and fetal neural tube defects (during pregnancy).